Monday 2 March 2009

Twilight mom


I've been very lazy lately, using all my spare time ploughing through all four of the Twilight saga books.  They've been out of stock in HK for a while and I've scoured quite a few of the large centrally located English language bookstores to no avail.  Then one day, I walked into our tiny local bookstore out in the middle of reclaimed land and there they were - all huge, shiny and black.  

The author Stephenie Meyer is not the most eloquent of writers (but who cares and does it matter?), in fact large chunks of the books are fairly cringeworthy, repetitive but I just found them sooo addictive.  Even though I was physically very tired and my eyes were going fuzzy every night, I just couldn't put them down.  

Until I saw the film, I had never heard of the books and mania surrounding the series. The film is done so that it appeals to more than just the teenagers it was originally intended for.  Although the books are not very sophisticated, they are still more entertaining than the film though.  Anything to be able to escape from my sometimes hum-drum every day routines and life.  

I've always been an avid reader, as a child I used to bug my mum everytime we ever went near a WH Smith (large newsagent/ stationery/ bookstore chain in the UK) to let me go inside and flick through their books.  She'd regularly catch me reading using a torch under my bed covers way past my bedtiime.  That's why I'm the only one in our family of 5 that is short-sighted.  All self induced.  

Books are so expensive in HK and to really enjoy reading you need to do it without much distraction.  Not so easy nowadays.  So I guess that is why I do a lot of my reading online now.  Still doesn't do my eyes any good.  

Apparently, there are two types of Twilight fans out there.  One is the 'Twi Tweens" and the other is known very embarrassingly as the "Twi Moms".   I really do forget how (or maybe I'm trying to) I'm not that young anymore.  It still shocks me when I realise that some people might actually think I am "old" *gasp*.  

No comments: