Tuesday 3 February 2009

Fast forward

Have you ever seen that (not so good) film, "Fast Forward"?  Whereby the main character has in his possession a remote control which allows him to fast forward/ rewind through life.  Well, today was definitely a fast forward day.  It was crap.  

O woke up with a fever because he had his prevanar shot yesterday, therefore breakfast was nicely brought back up.  Thank heavens for Tommee Tippee plastic bibs, the ones with the upturned bottom bit, they have saved me from having to mop the floor on many many occasions.  (On bad days though, the bib has been known to overflow).  But luckily, O didn't seem to be too under the weather and quite happily played with his toys alone as long as I was in the vicinity.  

Then there was A.  Tempers were frayed, voices raised, juice was spilled, plus a stint in the naughty room.  Like I mentioned before, she does love her brother.  He has been taking baby steps since Christmas day and it has only really been the last week where he has had the confidence to toddle around the flat from one room to another without resorting to crawling when the going gets tough.  He has even managed to walk without raising both his arms high above his head for balance.  Naturally though, he is still really unsteady on his feet.  

A's affections for him (and also towards the friends she really likes) manifests itself in neck hugging rugby tackles when she rushes over to kiss him.  Sometimes he cries, sometimes he screams, sometimes he shakes it off amused, but most of the time they end up a crumpled pile on the floor.  Each time A is reminded nicely/ firmly not to push or pull her brother otherwise he could get hurt.  She always nods her head and repeats that "O is just a baby mah".  

Today she just decided he was competition (for me) and on several occasions knocked him over on the sly when she thought I wouldn't notice.  I can't remember exactly how many times this scene was repeated, but it seemed like I was constantly raising my voice at her this afternoon and evening.  Distracting her with different things to do didn't help and going out was not an option (on good weather days we always try to go to the park or one of the many mini playgrounds dotted around our estate) due to O's fever.  She finally got sent to the naughty room when she smirked at what she had done.  

I just felt exasperated because she obviously knew what she was doing was wrong but chose to push me and my buttons.  Well, that's what it felt like anyway.  But now, I'm sitting here feeling crap for shouting all afternoon.  My eyes are going fuzzy too but the optometrist says its not because I need new prescription lenses, it's because I'm too tired and they can't seem to reset themselves.  

A was the easiest going baby ever growing up, she never had separation anxiety, was always friendly to strangers, sociable, sweet and never protested when she didn't get her way.  So her behaviour since she turned 2.5 years old has been a bit of a shock to me.  I honestly thought we were lucky here, not having to go through the terrible twos.  

O, on the other hand is easy going in other ways, but from a young age he always knew how to voice his discontent and get what he wanted from the adults by demanding it.  He has mini strops whenever he doesn't get his way.  So do I start mentally preparing myself for next year or will he miraculously (and hopefully) get it all out of his system by then?

Arrgh, tomorrow will be a better day.  

No comments: